somerset and cornwall light infantry SCLI scli
The Somerset & Cornwall Light Infantry
6 October 1959 - 10 July 1968

HomeCivic HonoursPrincipal Appointments Commissioned from the RanksObituaries


Contact

Tobruk
Gravesend


somerset and cornwall light infantry SCLI scli

SCLI in Osnabruck
Osnabruck Images
End of Tour
Obituary RSM Passmore MBE
Contributors
  • Tony Hood
  • Dave Pruett
  • Reg Horn
  • Johnny Welch
  • Victor Higgins
  • Fred Weston
  • Phil Ashworth
  • Denis Carter
  • Steve Forward
  • GWF Ellis(Bodmin)
  • LISom Office
  • John Davies
  • Major WH White DL
  • Peter J Bush OBE
  • Annegret Burford
  • Brian Cooke
  • Michael Isaac

Were you in the SCLI ? Please send in your Stories and Pictures.

 

SCLI in Osnabruck - 1959
Arrival

The first posting for the newly amalgamated regiments of Somerset Light Infantry and Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry was Mercer Barracks Osnabruck BFPO 36 in Western Germany. The first Commanding Officer of the new regiment was, Lt. Col. W.R. Lawson MBE (October 1959 - April 1960) who was followed by, Lt.Col. W. Hine-Haycock (April 1960 - September 1962).

The Farewell Parade at Knook Camp took place on Sat. Sept. 12th 1959, the SLI then immediately travelling to Mercer Barracks Osnabruck to join up with the DCLI who were already stationed there.

The two Light Infantry regiments had not only to intergrate but had to regularly undertake exercises/schemes as part of 12th Infantry Brigade. These were among Achmer, Sennelager, Putlos and Soltau, places that will ring a bell with any serviceman of BAOR.

SCLI in Osnabruck
End of Tour

When the tour of duty ended at Osnabruck the battalion was moved to Seaton Barracks Plymouth for regrouping. We travelled to The Hook by military train and embarked on Troopship Empire Parkstone for a very rough trip down the English Channel and along the south coast to Plymouth. We berthed at Trinity Pier on Tuesday 13th of June 1961.

After sorting ourselves out at Seaton Barracks, (Yes the Spiders were still there in 1961, they were built in 1914) we were sent on leave and prepared for our move to Gibraltar in the August.

SEATON BARRACKS

Seaton Barracks, on the eastern side of the Tavistock Road at Crownhill was originally a hutted camp built circa 1914. It was rebuilt between the First and Second World Wars.

It was named in honour of Sir John Colborne (1778-1863), who in 1839 moved into Lyneham House, Plympton, and chose the name Lord Seaton because he intended to buy a house near Seaton in east Devon. His statue was moved here from Mount Wise circa 1939.

The Barracks was rebuilt again circa 1964.

SCLI in Osnabruck
RSM Jan Passmore MBE

Passmore, William John (Jan), Captain (QM), MBE

DCLI - enlisted shortly after end of WW2 - . Joined 1 DCLI from the Infantry Training Centre as a Corporal. - Served with 1 DCLI in Cyprus, promoted Sgt. - Went onto serve in British and Italian Somaliland, promoted Sgt. Major. - Posted to 1 KSLI.

Served with 1KSLI in Korea and returned to 1 DCLI in the West Indies, promoted to RSM.

RSM of 1 DCLI in Osnabruck and first RSM of 1 SCLI Osnabruck and Plymouth.

Commissioned as Quartermaster, 1st April 1961, posted to 8DLI (TA), appointed MBE. Promoted Captain (QM), 18th March 1965, retired 29th May 1970, died 10th Feb 2000 after a long illness.

(These details supplied by Major W.H. White DL of LICornwall Office)

 
 

 

 


Please Report Broken Links or Other Site Issues to the Webmaster at "contact"
Copyright 2002 , 2003, 2004 and 2005- The Somerset & Cornwall Light Infantry :: Last Updated - Sunday, April 8, 2018 :: Best Viewed in "1024 x 768"

Template by Severn Beach